Wednesday, February 22, 2017

#133 Sept 2016 On the Road Again - Oops Not this Year!

By early September we were ready to be snowbirds again. We had plans to visit family and friends then head for Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Mid September we started our trip with another visit to see Al and Brian at Kentucky Alleyne Provincial Park. There are no services but we have discovered that with proper planning we could manage without electricity and running water for a few days. The view alone is worth it.


For a day trip Ralph and I drove to Spences Bridge to explore a different part of the province. We encountered bighorn sheep who were exploring the side of the road and watching us.



In Spences Bridge an antique shop features a wide assortment of memorabilia and modes of transportation.


Nearby is an old bus that Ralph had heard about previously.


For many years The Log Cabin Pub was the largest log structure in BC.


The décor reflects the many faces of the surrounding area.




The cougar is a small female and has occupied a spot in the Log Cabin since the doors opened in March 1976.


Made of fiberglass, the fish weighs 80 pounds and is 8 feet long. It was part of a DFO “Save the Coho” fundraiser.


The bald eagle was found washed up on the shores of Kamloops Lake.


The nearby arid, mountainous terrain is broken up with irrigated fields and hoodoos.


We spotted a black bear feasting on a windfall from a farmyard fruit tree.


Our next stop was Oliver to spend more time with Al and Gail.

There are so many wineries near Penticton that it would be difficult to decide which ones to visit. The decision was made for us when we all took a day long tour of six wineries.








Ruby Blues Winery has fabulous wine and shoes!



The tasting was outside with a view of the vineyard and Lake Okanagan.


Therapy Vineyard has great attention getting phrases.




The next evening we all enjoyed the music of Dale Seaman and Highway 97.


It was dark when we left the venue and we were parked in a dark viewpoint. Ralph and I were walking arm in arm when I misjudged the edge of the pavement. Ralph says suddenly I was not beside him and lying flat on the ground.

Fortunately a first aid “Knight in Shining Armor” was just getting into his vehicle next to ours. He was immediately by my side asking all the right questions. Justin made certain that my only injury was my left ankle. I could not put any weight on it and we couldn’t determine if it was a sprain or break.

I can’t say enough about how calmly and professionally Justin took over the situation. He was a blessing.

We were near Summerland while the nearest hospital was in Penticton. Al knows the area very well and was able to quickly give Ralph directions.

The emergency staff at the Penticton Hospital were terrific. Within an hour they had gauged the severity of my injury and I was on a stretcher being examined by an orthopedic surgeon.

Twenty-four hours later I was in surgery and came out with two plates and eleven screws in my ankle. After five days in hospital I was released with a cast and strict instructions to not put any weight on that ankle for 8 to 10 weeks. There was no way I could get into the motorhome or hop around inside with a walker.

Paul and Marg came to our rescue with an offer to use their cabin on Shuswap Lake. It is spacious and on one level with no carpet. They are marvelous friends and a blessing to Ralph and I.

By the time we arrived at the cabin Paul had built a ramp over the two steps into the cabin. Marg had supper ready with enough for another meal. They left the next day as they had planned before all this happened.

Ralph and I took stock of this unexpected challenge and realized how fortunate we were.

I received appropriate first aid immediately after I fell.
Penticton hospital staff were very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly.
This happened in our home province so there were no issues with medical coverage.
Red Cross loaned all the equipment I might need with no charge, only requesting a donation if possible.
Paul and Marg came to our rescue with a safe, secure place to stay.

This was my view until I could get out to the deck around the cabin. Notice the back end of the RV on the right side of the second photo. That was the closest I could get to the RV.




During my “cast time” I used a wheelchair. I couldn’t cover any distance with the walker in the cabin let along going for groceries, etc.

Ralph declared, “He could push me around and I couldn’t complain”.

When we left Surrey in September we had a general schedule for the next six months. We contacted family and friends and told them:  "We were 5 days into a 6 month trip when I took a 2 inch fall".










3 comments:

  1. You should be a travel writer. You have this uncanny ability to describe what is special about the places you visited. So interesting..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be a travel writer. You have this uncanny ability to describe what is special about the places you visited. So interesting..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HWY 97 band are playing twice again this summer at the same venue. Don't suppose we can tempt you to try it again??? LOL.

    ReplyDelete