Wednesday, May 15, 2019

#198 Aug 2018 Were it All Began for Me!

My mother grew up on a farm near Windthorst SK, my father in the town of Herbert SK. Both are small communities in southern Saskatchewan. 

Mum and Dad met in Moose Jaw SK in 1946 in a rooming house. I remember as a child being fascinated with the big rambling house. Mr. and Mrs. Kaiser had no children and gave my parents their family bible. I treasure the connection.

Ralph and I stayed in Moose Jaw for a few days and explored some of the area. 


Of course The Moose was our first stop.


Moose Jaw is also home to the Canadian Forces Snowbirds Air Show Flight Demonstration Team.


Ralph and I got up early one morning and headed downtown before people and traffic picked up. Many heritage buildings have been preserved and are still in use.


I wanted to get a feel for the city where my parents met. The Commercial Building was built in 1912 so would have looked much like this in 1946.


The Royal Bank of Canada building was constructed in 1914.


City Hall was also completed in 1914.



I felt like I was walking the same streets as my parents walked during their courtship and early marriage. 


Many murals portray the history of Moose Jaw.




The Tunnels of Moose Jaw are a fascinating story. 

Chinese workers had a complete underground community in the steam tunnels which heated downtown Moose Jaw.


Did Al Capone hide out in Moose Jaw during Prohibition? There are many stories to that effect but no physical proof. Buildings and murals attest to the belief that Al Capone did spend time in Moose Jaw.





 In 2014 we toured The Tunnels (post #38) but were disappointed with the tour guides who appeared to be conducting their first tours of the season. We hope to tour them another time and learn more.

We enjoyed our time in Moose Jaw and felt a connection to my family history. 





2 comments:

  1. yes, do go into the tunnels again. They're great fun. very interesting history there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very impressive history.

    ReplyDelete